Potato & Cheese Dumplings
I know lockdown isn’t easy. Come cook with Nonna Chong and have some fun! We’ll be making delicious cheese and potato dumplings a.k.a pierogi. The dumplings will be boiled with the option of pan frying them too. Hopefully you’ll have most of the ingredients already on hand!
What you’ll need:
– laptop or tablet to log in
– plain flour (2 cups makes approx. 20 dumplings)
– 2 tbs oil or 1 egg or 2tbs plain yogurt
– some salt
– warm water (approx 150ml)
– 1.5 cups unseasoned mashed potatoes
– 1/2 cup cheese(s) of your choice: cheddar, feta, ricotta, goats cheese, cottage cheese, some parmesan or a mix
– salt & pepper
Optional filling additions: sauteed onions or mushrooms, chopped spinach, spring onion, garlic, parsley, dill, grated zucchini (squeeze out liquid), fried bacon bits, 1 tsp mustard, lemon zest, tuna.
Optional: sour cream for dipping, chopped onions and butter to fry with the dumplings
– 2 mixing bowls: one for the dough, one for the filling
– rolling pin
– circular cutter approx 9-10cm wide
– pot for boiling the dumplings
– optional: frying pan to fry dumplings in butter and onions after boiling
Making the dumplings may take a bit of practice as it can be fiddly. Adults may need to help out the younger kids.
METHOD for the dough
1. Add 2 cups of flour into a bowl, mix in 1/2 tsp salt
2. Make a well in the centre, pour in 150ml lukewarm water and add egg, oil or yogurt
3. Mix until a dough forms (add a bit more water if needed), and knead for 1 min until smooth
4. Cover and rest dough for at least 15min before rolling out
To cook – simmer for 2-3 mins in boiling water until dumplings float. Optional – pan fry in butter and sauteed onions until golden brown. Serve with sour cream.
Please follow me on Instagram and Facebook if you’d like more cooking inspiration!