Inspired by Japanese savoury pancakes – Okonomiyaki, this is a healthy and satisfying breakfast dish packed with veggies. Quick and easy to make!
Prep Time: 10mins
Cooking Time: 10mins
If you have excess sourdough starter you can also substitute the baking soda and 1/2 cup flour with 1/2-3/4 cup starter
- 3/4 cup flour (I use 50/50 wholemeal and plain)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- minced garlic and ginger to taste
- 1-1.5 cup thinly shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of other veggies – I used mushrooms, julienne zucchini, corn and some kimchi
- handful of diced spring onions
- Cheese if you please – grated cheddar or feta
- Topping ideas: Japanese mayo, bbq or Worcestershire sauce, chilli sauce; sunny side fried egg; cottage cheese with a squeeze of lemon; mashed avo
- Mix flour, baking soda, eggs, seasonings and garlic/ginger with 2-3 tbsp water to make a thick batter
- Add in vegetable and mix
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat with a drizzle of oil
- Spread out about 1 cup of mixture to 1cm thickness and top with some cheese if you please
- Cover and cook for 1-2 min (depending on how soft you prefer the veggies).
- Drizzle a bit of oil on top (uncooked side) and then flip the pancake and cook other side for 1-2 min until golden brown.
- Serve hot with your desired topping – i added cottage cheese drizzled with Worcestershire sauce and homemade Srirachi.