Here’s another use for your sourdough starter! Make a healthy snack with wholemeal oven-baked empanadas. Don’t worry if you don’t have the starter, you can easily use baking powder. This is not a traditional empanada dough recipe as it’s wholemeal and lower in fat, but they are still delicious all the same!
Dough Recipe (makes 8-10)
– 1.5 cups wholemeal flour
– 1.5 cups plain flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 50g cold butter grated
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup active sourdough starter (or 1 tsp baking powder)
– 2-3 tbsp milk or cold water (enough to bring the dough together)
Mix the above ingredients together and press into a ball, cover and refrigerate for 30-60min
You can stuff the empanadas with any filling you like. For this batch I made a spiced chicken mix by pan frying up:
– 1 small onion diced, 2 cloves minced garlic,
– 1 cup of finely chopped chicken thigh meat (use mushrooms or lentils for vegetarians),
– 1/2 cup diced capsicum
– 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, oregano, chilli flakes and diced green olives.
– Season with salt and pepper to taste.
– Optional: hard boil 2 eggs, peel and cut into quarters
To Assemble & Bake
– Divide dough into 8-10 balls depending how big you you like the empanada
– Roll dough into rounds and fill with 1-1.5 tbsp of filling
– Crimp edges with a fork or your fingers
– Preheat oven to 180*C degrees, brush with egg wash and bake until golden brown, approx. 20-25min
The empanadas freeze well, so make a big batch of them and keep them in your freezer for quick snack!