A healthy and cafe-like breakfast idea using up your sourdough starter discard. Don’t worry if you don’t have sourdough starter, you can still easily make these like a regular pancake mix.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 min
INGREDIENTS & METHOD
PART 1 – whisk ingredients below into a smooth medium-thick consistency pancake batter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of active sourdough starter – mine is wholemeal. If you don’t have starter use 1/4 cup more flour and a dash more liquid
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour sifted (you can also use 50% almond meal if you’d like to lower the carb content) – plain flour is also fine
- 1/2 cup water or milk
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt & ground pepper
PART 2 – fold in the following ingredients
- 1 grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup corn kernels – frozen works well
- 1 clove garlic minced
- herbs of your choice: dill, parsley, spring onion, thyme
- chilli flakes (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp grated hard cheese (parmesan or pecorino)
Cook pikelet batter in a lightly oiled pan on medium heat – 1 heaped tbsp rounds. Put a lid on the pan for 2 mins to help the cooking process. Flip when underside is golden brown and cook for another 2 mins.
Serve pikelets with smashed avo and smoked salmon or bacon with a squeeze of lemon.
The avo smash is just 1 mashed avo, lemon juice, a heaped tsp plain yoghurt, salt and pepper to taste, and some parsley.